Friday, September 17, 2010

Yom Kippur - Kol Nidrei

Tonight I went to evening services - Kol Nidrei- with a friend at a synagogue that they attend. I had tickets to go to my synagogue, but I didn't want to go by myself. 
Yom Kippur is about atonement and confessing your sins, so this sevice was about asking God for forgiveness for your transgressions against Him, and about doing the right thing, not only for others, but for all of humanity. Which is a nice idea; so often when people speak of transgressions, it's about things that are done to other people. I like the idea of thinking about all of humanity and "paying it forward" for the good of everyone. 
I think the most enjoyable thing about this particular service in this particular synagogue was that there was a cellist and a violinist, and they each had solos. It was beautiful, especially the cello.
So tomorrow morning I attend services, and I will go downtown to the Plum Street Temple. Yes, I am going by myself. Christopher L. is attending a comic book thing.
Shabbat Shalom.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment